III.3. Ethnography and participant observation

Forum rules

We encourage contributors to the Discussion Board to publicly identify by registering and logging in prior to posting. However, if you prefer, you may post anonymously (i.e. without having your post be attributed to you) by posting without logging in. Anonymous posts will display only after a delay to allow for administrator review. Contributors agree to the QTD Terms of Use.

Instructions
To participate, you may either post a contribution to an existing discussion by selecting the thread for that topic (and then click on "Post Reply") or start a new thread by clicking on "New Topic" below.

For instructions on how to follow a discussion thread by email, click here.

David Greenwood-Sanchez
UW-Madison, phd student

Standards for publication

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi all,

I am a third-year political science phd student. Next month, I will be attending a conference in Mexico (the Convention on Biological Diversity COP-13) as a student-observer. My primary objective is to observe the negotiation environment/dynamics, and to get a better sense of the key issues being addressed.

I am wondering: what are the standards or recommended practices I should follow in terms of documentation? I would like to make sure that I have all my bases covered in the event that this experience leads to something publishable. However, in light of the potential reforms within the discipline, it isn't clear to me what I should expect. Are there any agreed-upon guidelines that I should consider? How would you recommend I approach this? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

thank you kindly,
David

Erica Simmons
University of Wisconsin–Madison

Re: Standards for publication

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:13 pm

David's questions are a good reminder of the importance of this process. The lack of guidance and clarity around what kinds of standards journals will use for ethnography is creating real anxiety among graduate students in particular. A number are afraid to employ the method as they are worried they won't be able to comply with new transparency standards if they do.

DGreenwoodSanchez wrote:Hi all,

I am a third-year political science phd student. Next month, I will be attending a conference in Mexico (the Convention on Biological Diversity COP-13) as a student-observer. My primary objective is to observe the negotiation environment/dynamics, and to get a better sense of the key issues being addressed.

I am wondering: what are the standards or recommended practices I should follow in terms of documentation? I would like to make sure that I have all my bases covered in the event that this experience leads to something publishable. However, in light of the potential reforms within the discipline, it isn't clear to me what I should expect. Are there any agreed-upon guidelines that I should consider? How would you recommend I approach this? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

thank you kindly,
David