IV.2. Settings of political violence

Forum rules

We encourage contributors to the Discussion Board to publicly identify by registering and logging in prior to posting. However, if you prefer, you may post anonymously (i.e. without having your post be attributed to you) by posting without logging in. Anonymous posts will display only after a delay to allow for administrator review. Contributors agree to the QTD Terms of Use.

Instructions
To participate, you may either post a contribution to an existing discussion by selecting the thread for that topic (and then click on "Post Reply") or start a new thread by clicking on "New Topic" below.

For instructions on how to follow a discussion thread by email, click here.

Sherrill Stroschein
University College London

Ethnic / religious tension settings

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 am

I posted in the first round about the dangers posed by DA-RT on research on nationalism. In a related move, the Association for the Study of Nationalities released a statement that DA-RT poses a danger to our ability to conduct research. There are three clear types of harms to persons that can result from the implementation of the DA-RT requirements. The first type involves harm to individual sources who provide interviews or materials to researchers, and the second the potential harm to researchers in terms of their continued ability to conduct research. There is also a third area of harm that relates to the damage that can be done to the relationship between researchers and sources.

In addition to these harms is the fact that in fraught contexts, everything written can become political. The DA-RT efforts do not recognise that those we research are agents themselves, and can try to obtain our data and materials to fight their own political battles. It is thus not just authoritarian states or state strategies that are at issue, but the fact that there are also actors on the ground that have their own potential reasons to make use of our materials. I have seen nothing from the DA-RT advocate side that acknowledges this potential, but the use of the Boston College archives by one side in the Northern Ireland conflict is just one example of how this can develop.

I am attaching here a copy of my paper on these matters. A link to the ASN statement on DA-RT is here: http://nationalities.org/news/asn-issue ... ding-da-rt

Attachments
DART for ASN circulation Stroschein.pdf
(394.29 KiB) Downloaded 715 times

Zachariah Mampilly
Vassar

Re: Ethnic / religious tension settings

PostMon Dec 05, 2016 8:06 am

Thank you for post and for sharing the ASN statement and your own paper Sherrill. I think both are highly relevant and raise important issues about whether research on politics can ever be truly objective especially when dealing with politically sensitive subjects.